Pages

Monday, December 8, 2014

"That's so gay"

Today I wanted to talk about a more serious issue on my blog. Recently Connor Franta posted his coming out video. I wanted to first say a huge congratulations to Connor and commend you on your courage. It couldn't have been an easy thing to do.


In light of his video, it reminded me about how people all around me use the word gay in a derogatory way and I hate it and I wanted to bring it up on my blog today.
"OMG I've got so much homework" "That's so gay" I don't know whether it is just a New Zealand thing but I hear people saying that all the time and I hate it. It makes me cringe and I'm not even gay. You don't have to be gay to feel this way, just human. Don't say something is gay when you mean dumb or stupid. 

The way people use the phrase, "That's so gay" makes the word gay seem like such a negative word. It carries such a negative connotation in that sentence and makes it even harder for people to come out when people talk about gay in such a negative way. The best way for me to explain it is imagine if the word gay was replaced with your name and people went around saying, "Look at that ugly painting. That's so Sam" or "Ew That  hairstyle is so James" (sorry to all the sam and james' out there, i was just trying to make a point. )
I know that it just happens naturally and no one really takes a second notice but maybe it is time that someone did. I've heard people (boy and girl) saying "That's so gay" casually in conversations for a long time. It might just be a word but to someone who is struggling with their sexuality - it represents years of discrimination, bullying and oppression. 

Just a point that I wanted to make in today's blog. Comment below any thoughts you have on today's topic. Love you.Zoe





No comments:

Post a Comment